Open Discussion Forum

Expand all | Collapse all

Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom

• 1.  Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom

Posted 02-05-2023 02:14 PM
    Hello all!

I've decided to keep this post short to begin a more lucrative discussion. When thinking about Indigenous languages in the classroom what are effective practices learning a language respectively? What is a language immersion school? What if it's an indigenous school that is not immersion? Why is this so important for indigenous peoples?

Hvtvmcehecvres (until we meet again)

------------------------------
    Brent Spears
    He/Him/His
    TIECN Facilitator
    Lead Teacher
    MPTN CDC @ Bright Horizons
    Mystic, CT

• 2.  RE: Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom

Posted 02-06-2023 03:30 AM
    Kwai (Hello),

I have taught the Indigenous Abenaki language to students at my preschool (ages 2 to 5).for the past three years. The school is located in Abenaki territory and I have been studying the language with an Indigenous teacher for five years, The format of my weekly lessons has been teaching new words and songs, some of which include hand motions. I also tell Abenaki stories in English but pepper them with Abenaki words.

The children respond enthusiastically to these lessons and have used their new words at school and at home.

wlinanawalmezi (take good care of yourself),

Annette

Annette Urbschat

• 3.  RE: Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom

Posted 02-06-2023 12:51 PM
    Annette,

Hesci (hello) and thank you for your response! I am highly interested to learn more about your story. I must say I effectively use code switching daily here at the Mashantucket (Pequot) Tribal Nation CDC for these children. There are no fluent speakers here so I feel that this is the best practice here and love fitting words into common songs (such as "Wheels on the Bus") or into simple stories such as Eric Carlile's "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" Feel free to email me as I am also creating contacts here in the northeast indigenous community! 

hvtvmcehecvres (Until we meet again)

Brent Spears
    He/Him/His
    Lead Teacher
    NAEYC Facilitator
    Mystic, CT

• 4.  RE: Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom

Posted 02-06-2023 09:45 PM
    Kwai Brent,

Please reach out with questions about my language teaching experiences:

Wliwni (thank you),
    Annette

• 5.  RE: Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom

Posted 02-06-2023 09:51 AM
    We supported the first urban language immersion program for Dakota and Ojibwe Languages that started in 2000 which is total immersion (no English spoken).

https://wicoienandagikendan.org/history/

There is also the Indigenous Interest Forum here for NAEYC.

Miigwich (Thanks - Ojibwe)

Bryan Nelson
    MenTeach.org

• 6.  RE: Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom

Posted 02-06-2023 12:45 PM
    Bryan,

Mvto (thank you) so much for this resource! I can't wait to learn more. It is contributions like this that will help revitalize the tribal and indigenous community forum in which I am helping facilitate. I hope to hear more!

Hvtamcehecvres (until we meet again)

Brent Spears
    He/Him/His
    Lead Teacher
    NAEYC Facilitator
    Mystic, CT

• 7.  RE: Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom

Posted 02-07-2023 11:24 AM
    Bozho Brent,
    I previously worked for my tribe in Michigan, the Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians as a manager for our preschool, called Zagbegon (Sprout) Academy. We worked on revitalizing our language by collaborating with our language department. They would teach us through weekly language classes and we would use as much of the language as we could with the children, sprinkling it in where we could. We would use common vocabulary for everyday objects as well as common phrases. We are hoping that through these small efforts that we can slowly revitalize our language. Our language department would also teach us some songs and translate some books for us as well. I am no longer employed there as I am now teaching at Grand Valley State University, however I still have strong connections with them and know all of the current staff if you would like to be put in touch with them. Let me know :)

Elizabeth Rinehart
    Visiting Faculty
    Grand Valley State University
    Dorr MI

• 8.  RE: Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom

Posted 02-17-2023 04:49 PM

It is so important to value and recognize the different cultured children that we have in our preschools.There are so many ways to do this.Most of the kids are very retentive and excited to learn some bits of a different language or facts about other cultures.It is the "spice" of life.we should not be timid about validating all these beautiful children, their ethnicities,and cultures.Ive found it to be one of the most enjoyable activities for my kids.

Kimberly Moore
    Preschool teacher
    Logan UT

• 9.  RE: Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom

Posted 02-23-2023 11:24 PM

I'm grateful for this topic!  I encourage non-Native teachers like myself to look to indigenous educators, families, and community groups for guidance in sharing truthful knowledge and practices about the community with students.  I have learned a lot from an Oyate Press book written years back, editor Beverly Slapin. We should make sure we are learning about the true lives of indigenous communities and individuals, or else we doom our students to perpetuating negative and harmful stereotypes. 

Try to have your sources for books etc be created by those the materials refer to.  "Nothing ABOUT us WITHOUT us."

Mars April Caulton

Chicago IL

• 10.  RE: Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom

Posted 02-25-2023 04:41 PM

Such good and caring responses about teaching Tribal and Indigenous languages in the classroom. I know that in some places teaching these languages in the classroom are keeping the languages alive and giving all languages a voice in the community. 

A few years ago one of the dads in the preschool program where I taught wanted Spanish to be taught in our classroom. I didn't know much Spanish, but he and I worked together to label items in the classroom in both Spanish and English. Since it was a parent participation class, everyone, children and adults benefited! 

Joyce Daniels
    Adjunct Instructor
    Folsom Lake College
    Sacramento Valley, Ca