Open Discussion Forum

• 1.  Requesting more parental support for special needs children

Posted 02-11-2023 02:15 PM

Hello. I am a teacher/director in a small parent cooperative preschool. We have long had a reputation of a school that offers a lot of outdoor time, establishes strong relationships and is well-suited to active children. Like many schools, we are seeing the effects of the pandemic this year. Many children need a lot of adult attention and we're seeing several with pronounced sensory seeking behaviors. We've consulted with parents, who have been cooperative about getting their children into occupational therapy. We have talked to their therapists and had several come to observe and offer pointers. And still, these children need almost the full attention of one of two teachers in each class.

In one class, with several diagnosed children with special needs, we have hired a third teacher for 4 days a week with our Childcare relief funds. This has helped but a couple of children with sensory seeking issues are very disruptive and sometimes hurt other children unintentionally or seems threatening in their actions. Parents are concerned with some justification and the board would like to have these parents provide shadows for these children or ask them to leave. Our behavior plan does allow us to take either action after we have followed the proscribed steps, which we have. One child has been here since September, and we've seen little improvement. Another child (another class) just came in mid-November and almost immediately started twice weekly therapy after two weeks. The other child had been going to an OT and now is scheduled for further evaluation. 

I have told the Board that we need to allow for a little time to see improvement for those who are actively getting help. Our third teacher solution won't last forever due to funds and teacher availability. I also know for many families who work, can't afford to pay a shadow or have younger children at home it is not really feasible to be at preschool several days a week or hire someone. I feel like their only recourse would be to drop from the program, which is definitely detrimental to that family. On the other hand, teachers are getting exhausted.

Any advice or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

Peggy Sweeney

------------------------------
    Margaret Sweeney
    director/teacher
    Houston TX

• 2.  RE: Requesting more parental support for special needs children

Posted 02-12-2023 12:42 AM

Hi Margaret,

I also teach at a co-op and have some similar sounding kiddos.  I wonder if there has been a parent meeting?  I have found that when parents are able to talk to each other about their struggles the rest of the community is really responsive.  We require two parent meetings (I do not attend but often get a rundown) for each class as a time for parents to check in about their own kiddos and how to support each other. Obviously it requires the parent so the struggling kiddos to be really onboard with laying out their struggles.  It is a hard situation but a caring community can be the most healing solution if you have it.  It also helps to empower your parent teachers in the classroom because they see the parents struggling.  Everyone hearing from the parents things they are doing, have tried that do and don't work.  It puts into perspective the little human that is struggling.  
    On a completely different track I have one kiddo that has responded really well to being upside down.  Sounds weird, but if he is winding up I hold him (in a kind and general way) but with his head hanging down.  His whole body relaxes and it's like a complete reset.  I found this one day when I was trying to calm him in the rocking chair and he wiggled into a head down position.    When I told mom she checked with OT and is totally onboard.  Good luck!  I hope your community can come around on some of the challenges!

Kindly,

Allisen Hein

Allisen Hein
    Teacher/Director
    Kenilworth Community Preschool
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: Requesting more parental support for special needs children

Posted 02-12-2023 10:17 PM

Thanks for your helpful reply, Allisen. I love the idea of scheduled class parent meetings, which would be helpful in several ways and great at building community. I'm just wondering if we can provide the support that a couple of these children need in the long run.

I appreciate your perspective.Thank you.

Margaret Sweeney
    director/teacher
    Houston TX

• 4.  RE: Requesting more parental support for special needs children

Posted 02-13-2023 04:36 AM

Hi Allisen,

My name is Laural and you talking about accidentally finding out that one of the boys at your school calmed after hanging his head upside down brought back some memories of my daughter when she was an infant. She was born with a rare genetic condition called NKH or Non Ketotnic Hyperglycinemia. The disorder is caused by the body not making the enzyme that metabolizes (breaks down) the amino acid called glycine and thus causing too much (hyper) glycine throughout the body. The NKH caused my daughter to have a lot of neurological problems like seizures, arching (only during the 1st year or 2), sensory issues, and developmental delays. Sometimes after she had several seizures and arching, and was exhausted but couldn't get her body to calm down, I lay her with her legs towards me and her head between my legs and let her head be upside down for awhile.(Yes, when she was really young I supported her neck with the back of my hand.) This seem to help her to relax her body and calm down. 

Laural Slayden
    Houston TX

• 5.  RE: Requesting more parental support for special needs children

Posted 02-13-2023 09:46 AM

I was  a parent and then director of a small parent cooperative in NJ. It appears from what you have written that you have been able to get services for the children with special needs. It was my understanding that the act that was known as the Preschool Handicap Act covered evaluation and support for special needs children below kindergarten free of charge through your local school district. My grandson who has special needs had an assistant in his preschool classroom who was there to assist him.

I found that parents/families in the coop school and on the Board are often missing empathy toward the families struggling with a child with special needs. Often, parents/families are preoccupied with their own children and want to control the environment for the own child to make it a perfect place free of children with special needs or any conflict. I know that sounds terrible but I have seen it close up.

I found that children who have special needs have to be given more attention when they enroll if that enrollment occurs after the class has coalesced, that is after the start of the new school year. Mechanisms to help them become part of the group are essential for them to successfully adjust.

Another thought I had was that the teachers, assistants, and you should bring in somebody to observe the daily life of the classroom and how it unfolds. There may be ways to ameliorate the disruption seen and experienced by all by adjustments to schedules, words used when talking to these children, and through the daily flow of the day.

In addition, maybe it is time to bring in speakers who can dialogue with parents about children with special needs and how all members of the coop can help these children adjust and succeed.

One statement you wrote particularly struck home for me because I experienced it as the director of the parent coop. As I said earlier, coops are tricky in the sense that the families "own" the school and run the Board - ultimately hiring and firing teachers and the director and "expelling" families from the coop. And as I wrote earlier, they are rightfully, in many ways, particularly protective of their own children and often find it hard to empathetically think about the child who has special needs.

"Parents are concerned with some justification and the board would like to have these parents provide shadows for these children or ask them to leave. Our behavior plan does allow us to take either action after we have followed the proscribed steps, which we have. One child has been here since September, and we've seen little improvement. Another child (another class) just came in mid-November and almost immediately started twice weekly therapy after two weeks. The other child had been going to an OT and now is scheduled for further evaluation."

Good luck. If you want to talk, you can email me privately.

Nora Krieger, PhD
    Associate Professor Emerita/Past Chair NJEEPRE
    Bloomfield College/NJ Educators Exploring the Practices of Reggio Emilia
    Highland Park, NJ

• 6.  RE: Requesting more parental support for special needs children

Posted 02-13-2023 11:02 AM

Good morning Margaret,

Welcome,  It's awesome to read how you are helping the children with so many different needs with an extra teacher.

I also understand all the problems children are having especially after the pandemic.  At our Preschool we have O.T. Therapist and Speech Therapist and it has been helping a lot.  Ever since the pandemic we have noticed the children needing so much help. :-(.

Nelida Rosado
    Preschool Director
    Calvary City Christian Academy & Preschool
    Orlando FL

• 7.  RE: Requesting more parental support for special needs children

Posted 02-15-2023 02:34 AM

Hi Peggy,

You talked about potentially having someone to shadow the children who needed more one on one attention and was concern about the parents being able to afford it. Well, I may have a resource that can get those children a shadow/mentor while at the center. Texas Health and Human Services has a program called the Foster Grandparent Program funded by AmeriCorps, "The program matches people over 55 who volunteer to work with children with exceptional needs in childcare, schools, hospitals, and other child care agencies to act as role model, mentor, guide." (from the website). When I first came to Houston in the 1990's, I worked in a child care center, in a community center and they had 3-4 Foster Grandparents who each had a specific child they mentored during school hours. All the children that had Foster Grandparents, when I worked at the center, had shown disruptive behaviors and had hurt other children and/or the teachers.

I can relate to the position you are in. My last position, before having my daughter, was a director of a church school. I sadly, (with School Board Backing) had to tell a child's parent not to bring the child back to the church school. Now the decision was made after 2-3 years of the parent providing little to no cooperation. The child's teachers had meetings with the child's parent, the former director had meetings with the parent, I had meetings with the parent, and I think even a couple of the school board members had talked to the parent and nothing really changed. The parent even refused having us, have someone like an OT come in and observe the child during the day. It was an extremely difficult decision but it came down to the safety of everyone at the center, including the child.

Laural Slayden
    Houston TX