Open Discussion Forum

• 1.  Nutrition/Food Education tools and resources?

Posted 03-03-2023 06:47 AM

I''m interested in what curriculums and programs childcare providers enjoy, and which are too much work, etc. 

There are so many out there. I'm curious which ones have stood the test of time! 

Thanks! 

------------------------------
    Erin Croom
    CEO and co-founder
    Small Bites Adventure Club
    Atlanta GA

• 2.  RE: Nutrition/Food Education tools and resources?

Posted 03-03-2023 07:36 AM

Good morning to all,

We use Abeka and Wee Learn.  I really like Abeka because it helps the students' learning and practice academically, coloring and especially their writing skills.  Abeka provides lots of information for the teacher to work on their Lesson Plans.

Wee Learn curriculum is great for the Learning by Playing.  It provides lots of great idea for the teachers.

Blessings

Nelida Rosado
    Preschool Director
    Calvary City Christian Academy & Preschool
    Orlando FL

• 3.  RE: Nutrition/Food Education tools and resources?

Posted 03-03-2023 07:41 AM

Thank you! I was specifically interested in nutrition education/food education (hands-on cooking/health/gardening) curriculum and resources. But I do also love general curriculum suggestions! 

Erin Croom
    CEO and co-founder
    Small Bites Adventure Club
    Atlanta GA

• 4.  RE: Nutrition/Food Education tools and resources?

Posted 03-03-2023 08:41 PM

Hi! I'm an independent contractor who presents hands-on, active hourly, 1/2 day, full day, multi-day workshops/institutes on teaching children nutrition, gardening, food basics, etc., through fun movement games/activities, & S.T.R.E.A.M. I'm a Master trainer for CATCH (Coordinated approach to children's health) & ICN (Institute for children's nutrition), as well as a Head Start Body Start consultant, & licensed health/physical education teacher for all students (including special needs).

I've written 16 books, 30+ articles, and presented over 215 sessions to government, state and local organizations including: (1) CASE WV Family Daycare Food Program Conference; (2) Fairfax County Office for Children, Community Ed & Providers Services, Family Child Care Conference; (3) Virginia Beach GrowSmart city series training for Children's Harbor, and many others.

I would love to talk to you (& anyone else on here needing a contractor for ANY topic, as my research/sessions focus on hands-on teaching/learning while doing. That includes active physical games teaching children reading, STEAM, developing fine and large motor skills, etc. As well as institutes on how to create better standardized assessments for classrooms, using hierarchy of needs and blooms tax to help children achieve more, build self esteem, and improve emerging emotions) about my offerings and how I can help you/your teachers/program. 

Contact me at dr.joanne_hunter@yahoo.com. You can also take a look at my LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr-joanne-hunter-b497089

Thank you for reading and have a great weekend!

Joanne Hunter
    Contractor
    Dr. Joanne Hunter LLC
    Alexandria VA

• 5.  RE: Nutrition/Food Education tools and resources?

Posted 03-04-2023 09:17 AM

I also use We Can curriculum.It has been around a while but is a great curriculum for ages 3 through 6.It is easy to follow yet provides a lot of choices and ideas.There is a monthly theme(sometimes bi monthly)and it does include health and nutrition,caring for the body,and farming(gardening themes).It includes many other fun themes too like birds,insects,transportation,bears,community helpers.I know it used to be the Head start curriculum(which I think is now Frogstreet).Its worth looking into if you are teaching 3 to 6 yr olds.It focus heavily on early linguistics(including Spanish and sign language if you choose to implement those)literacy,and math skills(counting up to 10 or so)and prewriting/drawing skills.It suggests ways to teach through playful activities.Also the "amazing action alphabet" book is a great letter and sound learning book which is small and not very expensive.Just wanted to put this out there for you or anyone looking for a commercial curriculum.

Kimberly Moore
    Preschool teacher
    Logan UT

• 6.  RE: Nutrition/Food Education tools and resources?

Posted 03-04-2023 10:43 AM

Hello,

This resource may not cover all your are looking for, but in regards to gardening I have found lots of resources at kidsgardening.org.  They have lessons plans, grant information (some good info to assist you in writing a grant), webinars and great ideas.  Enjoy.

Joann Gansen
    Dubuque IA

• 7.  RE: Nutrition/Food Education tools and resources?

Posted 03-04-2023 02:32 PM

Hi Erin,

You can order and download free curricula from the USDA Team Nutrition. There may be materials there that are helpful for your students and families. https://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/nutrition-education-materials

You may also want to contact your local University Extension office/program and they may be able to provide materials or training for your school. https://extension.uga.edu/programs-services.html

Angela Asch
    Education Policy Analyst
    California

• 8.  RE: Nutrition/Food Education tools and resources?

Posted 03-04-2023 11:23 AM

I was involved in the early 2000s with a nutrition and gardening curriculum for preschool that involved gardening, cooking, sensory activities, and family connections. It was a wonderful collaboration among nutrition and early childhood faculty/staff at my (former) institution, Keene State College in Keene NH. We evaluated the program to find out if it would increase children's willingness to eat vegetables and try new vegetables, and found that it worked! We wrote a book on the whole curriculum, complete with the 24 week curriculum and published a couple of articles in Young Children. 

The book was published by and is available from Redleaf press. There is also a follow up cookbook that has additional recipes in it. (See images below.)

early sprouts curriculum from growing-minds.org

Here is the info about our articles - you will get the overview of our approach from them. The first is specifically about the curriculum; the second extends to how the classroom as a whole can support positive nutritional goals and outcomes.

"Early Sprouts" Establishing Healthy Food Choices for Young Children
    Kalich, Karrie A.; Bauer, Dottie; McPartlin, Deirdre
    Young Children, v64 n4 p49-55 Jul 2009
    Creating the Nutritionally Purposeful Classroom
    Kalich, Karrie A.; Bauer, Dottie; McPartlin, Deirdre
    Young Children, v69 n5 p8-12 Nov 2014<slot></slot>
    While the 'evidence' on the effectiveness, in terms of changing children's eating behaviors, is based on following the entire protocol, you can certainly borrow any of the ideas and use them in the way that works best for you. I hope this is helpful. 

Dottie Bauer
    Professor emerita
    Antrim NH

• 9.  RE: Nutrition/Food Education tools and resources?

Posted 03-04-2023 02:33 PM

The  best curriculum to me is children learn through play I like Maria Montessori was a physician and educator who developed an education method based on the premise that children love to learn. Using scientific observation and experience gained from her earlier work with young children, Maria designed learning materials and a classroom environment that fostered the children's natural desire to learn and provided freedom for them to choose their own materials. To Maria surprise many of the children in Maria's programs thrived, exhibiting concentration, attention, and spontaneous self-discipline the "Montessori Method" I think is a great curriculum base for children. I have started myself working with a school that strives on children can learn so much through play. After so many years in childcare education I always wanted to work with a school that believe in her work. I have seen and now working with their curriculum excited about seeing first hand how this new curriculum that has been around for some time works.

Brenda Lewis
    Petersburg VA

• 10.  RE: Nutrition/Food Education tools and resources?

Posted 03-04-2023 04:43 PM

I too have been impressed with Montessori.I think its wonderful it is making a comeback.That speaks for itself.Of course there have been the few Montessori preschools that stayed around but now we are seeing a huge regrowth.Many may know this but you can buy the Montessori instructional curriculum learning for teachers for around 500$ if you are ever interested in starting a home based preschool.And of course the materials too,which are pricey but very well designed and sturdy.I myself prefer to teach in public centers but if I were to ever do a home based program I would choose Montessori or a forest school curriculum.

Kimberly Moore
    Preschool teacher
    Logan UT