Open Discussion Forum

Expand all | Collapse all

Grief Resources for Children Under Three

• 1.  Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-02-2022 04:43 PM

I am retired, most recently as a community college English professor. Before those years, I was in Early Childhood Education for several years, professionally as the Director of a relatively small preschool that was part of a church's community outreach program. We were one of the programs to be accredited when Accreditation was still very new. I also spent 13 years at home with young children of my own, able to afford the privilege of being an at-home mom by choice. Part of that privilege, for me, was the opportunity to devour every book about child development I could buy or borrow (repeatedly) from the three libraries we frequented. That education is what ultimately qualified me to be the Director of the preschool. This is just to explain why I'm here. My grandson, 15 months old, has revived my desire to find out all I can about child development today. My son spent the first year as an at-home fulltime father. They have a beautiful bond that I love to watch at work.

OK--to my question. I have begun thinking about grief in very young children recently because of some family tragedies I've read about or heard about on the news. I am also a writer, still working to be published, but, hey, I've only been intentionally working at writing every day for a few months. The novel I am working on explores the grief process for the five children (from 9 yrs. to 7 weeks) and the aunt who "inherits" them, reluctantly at first. I've explored children's literature for some outstanding books about grief, some for toddlers and preschoolers. But I am not finding much information about the psychology and sociology of the grief process for toddlers and preschoolers. I want to be certain I am presenting that part of the novel accurately. One of the major characters is a 3 yrs. old boy who is very verbal and intensely emotional. He is having a very hard time figuring out what to do, think, put words to, etc. about the freak accidental death of both parents caused by a grieving drunk driver. The little boy has deep, racking, sobbing "grief attacks," as his aunt calls them, which I want to describe accurately. Do any of you know about any resources (books, articles, etc.) to help me get this done "right." It is fiction, but I don't want to gloss over or present a child's grief process inaccurately. One of the book's themes is the rough and bumpy grief journey one must get through to begin returning to a relatively normal life. I want the novel to carry a realistic and believable experience for the children and their aunt who is totally without parental experience. 

Or has anyone worked with grieving children in your daycare setting?

I will of course document any resources I use to educate myself for writing this book. And I will definitely document to this Discussion Board.
    Peggy Fish-Oliver

------------------------------
    Peggy Oliver
    Retired English Professor
    San Jacinto College Retiree, Houston, TX
    Ankeny IA

• 2.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-08-2022 10:18 AM
    First, thank you for your endeavor. It's much needed, and there's not much out there.  Since your characters are from 7 weeks to 9 years, what is the age group your readers would be in?  That's the main question to answer before most of the other things get put in. Is this for adults to serve as background to help them? Is it for 1 or 2 of the age groups of the children?  Nearly 20 years ago, when my husband suddenly died, it was hard to explain it to the grandchildren.  I wrote a book and it got some VERY nice comments, but no publishers would publish it for many reasons.  If your book is for adults, I suggest you have a chapter of how to deal with the awful comments that well-meaning adults say - both to children or to adults.  When my husband was dead 1 day and the funeral was the next day, I went to religious services.  A woman came over, sat down next to me and said, I was going to be okay because her cousin, who had a long and unhappy marriage and then a marriage to a wonderful, loving man who suddenly died, married again and is very happy.  She assured me it would happen to me as well.  How dare she when my beloved was not yet in the ground???  Or may he rest in peace - so when will he wake up from his nap?  My granddaughter wrote a letter to him which she gave me to keep safe so when he comes back, he can see it first thing.  Children get all sorts of ideas from adults, and it just makes it so much harder for them and the adults who are trying to help them.
    I did give some presentations at a few conferences on the topic which were well received, but many people said they were dealing with too much and couldn't bear to come to that presentation.
    Right now, I'm grieving the death of my first childhood friend, and I have better and worse days.  Children don't usually understand that their emotions can swing, and that it's okay to laugh and still miss their loved one.
    Sorry to ramble, and wishing you luck with this important project.

Ellen Cogan, MS Ed - Owner, Chief Consultant - HILLTOP Early Childhood SERVICES
    NYS Early Learning Credentialed Trainer
    NYS Master Cadre, Pyramid Model
    Implementation Planner, Early Head Start-Child Care Partnership
    www.earlychildinfo.com

• 3.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-09-2022 11:31 AM
    Thank you both, Ellen and Peggy. I'm an Early Childhood Educator and come upon grief with children many times too many. My question is for Ellen. I am interested in your book that was never published. Do you have any for sale.? I would be interested in purchasing one.

Heather Natonabah
    Hanaadli FACE Program
    Bloomfield, NM

Heather Natonabah
    Preschool teacher
    Hanaadli FACE Center-base Program
    Farmington NM

• 4.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-09-2022 01:03 PM
    Dear Heather,
    Thank you for your interest. It's somewhere on my computer, not having been looked at for several years.  I'll have to look at it again, see if I still think it's worthy of publication, and then think of what to do with it.  Part of my original problem is that while I have lots of skills, drawing is not among them.  I paid someone to make the pictures, but I really didn't like the way they looked, so all I have are the words. I know it needs pictures, and I even wrote what I wanted them to look like.
    Your question piqued my interest.  I'll get back to you, perhaps next week or so.

www.earlychildinfo.com

• 5.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-09-2022 01:09 PM
    Ok thank you.

hn

Heather Natonabah
    Preschool teacher
    Farmington NM

• 6.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-10-2022 08:48 PM
    Heather, I am so happy that you asked Ellen about her book. Someone should see it and help her revise or edit as needed and to find help for illustrations. Publishers most likely would be willing to include that in the publishing process if they are interested. It may take a while, but surely someone may be interested. 

I've found a few very good, I think, picture books that explain death simply as just as all things alive in nature do people also die eventually, usually when very old. Then they describe death as happening when the heart stops beating, the nose cannot breathe, the mouth cannot talk, legs cannot walk, etc. Then they all are rather general about the soul / spirit and where it goes. I think each book leaves that fairly open in order to fit with a good variety of religious and spiritual beliefs of individual families. 

As I wrote (forever) to Ellen, I think I'll need to find access to a college /university library to access excellent scholarly journal articles and book titles I've found. That should be easily done at Iowa State, only 30 minutes away. I think I just need to ask for access as an Iowa taxpayer. I will soon find out. My heart will be palpitating at the chance for some good old scholarly library research. I know, I'm a bit strange, but I love researching just about anything if I have the library for it.

Happy Holidays to all! Thanks for any ongoing information and suggestions anyone may be able to add here. I am immensely grateful.
    Peggy

Peggy Oliver
    Ankeny IA

• 7.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-10-2022 08:51 PM

Thanks so much for responding. I have found some more sources and a Working Bibliography that would provide fabulous scholarly information I could use. However, I must find a library through which I can access the journal articles. I am thinking I will need to find a college or university library that will give me access as a taxpayer. Iowa State University is only about 30 minutes from my home in the Des Moines suburban area.

The book is meant to be for women's literature / popular fiction. It focuses on the aunt who reluctantly takes on the five kids terrified she cannot do the job right.  One of the hardest pieces of her journey with them is helping them handle their grief, especially the 9-year-old, 6-year-old, and 3-year-old. The 2-year-old is not strongly verbal, so he is trying to process why he misses his Mommy and Daddy. He knows things aren't right but, of course, is mostly immersed in play but picks up on the 3-year-old's "grief attacks." And he often is irritable and crying for his mommy when overly tired. The 3-year-old has trouble remembering what "permanent" or "forever" mean. He is certain his mommy will come back for him. I'm planning, at least at the moment, to have him run away sometime in the early summer to find Mommy and Daddy and help them find their way back to his house where they are supposed to be. That's his extreme inability to understand that death is permanent. The 6-year-old is the only girl; I'm toying with having her just stop being able to read a couple months after losing her parents. I'd like a bit of research info to confirm for me that such a problem might be possible in a child's grief process at the age of 6. The 9-year-old, the most able to understand what death means, is seemingly coping well and leads the kids wonderfully through the visitation and funeral. They draw pictures to put in the caskets at visitation and play in a room off of the chapel. During the funeral, the children's director from the church reads a wonderful picture book to them. They say a prayer together and then each child lays a rose on each closed casket and returns to their seat with aunt and grandparents. I found info through funeral home continued education info to support that as the current thinking about having children participate in these stages of the American grief/funeral traditions, especially if it is the death of a parent. I cannot find anything about the sudden loss of both parents. I guess that is too traumatic to even think about, but it must happen, especially with plane crashes, car crashes, etc. In the book, the parents are killed by a drunk driver who, ironically, is grieving the loss of his wife to cancer.  And I purchased a couple children's books--one is, I think, outstanding. I will try to remember to get the author and title for you. It might be a book to have at a day care just to have it tucked away to pull out if needed for a child or the child and his/her age group friends. 

At any rate, the 9-year-old boy does well for a few months but then begins venting his anger by getting into fights with his friends at school. So he is going to need help of some sort as well. The aunt is not fond of teacher conferences since she is so short on parenting skills, learning them on the fly, so to speak. She is a college English professor, roughly based on my experiences. They say to write about what you know. 😉 I, however, have been caring for babies since I was 2 years old and wanting to take care of my baby brother.

I am also planning to have some adults, mostly the family's friends from neighborhood and church who will stumble all over themselves and say some pretty bizarre things like your dreadful experience! I have been through and divorce and have lost both parents and all in-laws. I think people either come up with some bizarre comments or avoid you entirely because they have no idea what to say. I don't know why they can't just keep it simple and ask, "How are you doing? I've been thinking of you." Or they could ask if there is something they could do that would help you this afternoon? . . . or I'm going for groceries, are there some things I could get for you while I am there?

Thanks for your comments and have a lovely holiday season and a great new year. I must get on with writing my book; I am 74, so I need to see if I can get it published before I am gone! 😊
    Peggy

Peggy Oliver
    Ankeny IA

• 8.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-12-2022 07:17 AM
    Thanks for all of your kind wishes about my book.  As a resource, I highly recommend The Grief Recover Handbook.  I used to have several at my nursery school to lend to families - 1 by 1, they disappeared, so I kept buying more and more of them.  I hadn't thought of it until recently when my dear childhood friend died. I ordered 3 of them the other day - 1 for each of her grown children and one to have around for whoever needs it.

www.earlychildinfo.com

• 9.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-17-2022 07:02 PM
    Peggy, the name is The Grief Recovery Handbook, put out by The Grief Recovery Institute. I bought mine second hand through Amazon for under $6 each. I got the 20th Anniversary Expanded Edition.  Have just started thumbing through it.  I highly recommend it.

www.earlychildinfo.com

• 10.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-19-2022 12:38 AM
    Thanks so much for all of the info to get my hands on this resource. I appreciate your taking the time to do this. 
    I hope you may be able to publish your children's book--any publisher can locate an illustrator, I am sure. You might see if there is a writer's group in your area and contact them about illustrators they may have used or know of. I haven't joined the writers' group that I think exists in my area but am thinking that may be something that I'd find helpful. I am a bit shy, especially when it comes to sharing what I write, but if I want to publish, I'm going to have to let someone else read it, right?

Thanks again and have a lovely holiday and a great new year!
    Peggy O

Peggy Oliver
    Ankeny IA

• 11.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-20-2022 01:55 PM
    Hello Peggy,
    I have been following about the grief resources. I wish you well as you go ahead and publish your book. Please let me know once you publish the book i will buy as a resources. I  planning to presenting in a local conference on what resources the teachers can use to support children in early childhood. Keep in touch, if you have any journal articles on early childhood on grieve let me know. rudia.kihura@bhsu.edu
    Thank you

Rudia Kihura
    Assistant Professor, Educational Psychology & Early Childhood
    Black Hills State University
    Spearfish SD

• 12.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-12-2022 08:44 AM
    Dear Dad by Ellen Pan is a new picture book written and illustrated by an 18 year old writer and artist to her dad who passed away in an accident 3 years ago. The art is great. You may want to look into that book. It is available on Amazon.

River Yang, Ph.D.
    Director/Lead Teacher
    Montessori Plus International
    Missoula MT

• 13.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-13-2022 01:58 AM
    I was hoping to reply to Dottie, but I think this is under River Yang. I will look for the book by Ellen Pan as I've not come across it on Amazon. Thanks so much. Ellen, can you get me the info to order the booklet you talk about? I'd like to see what info it provides. Oh, I'll also pursue the French movie through Netflix. Thanks to all!
    I have found J. William Worden's Children and Grief: When a Parent Dies through Amazon. It arrived yesterday and I have read almost all of it at this point. He gives very little information about preschool-age children, but what he has is info that is pretty intuitive, at least for me, but he has the research documentation to support the findings. He also has amazing References List that is categorized and goes on forever, swear! If I can get to Iowa State Library, I should be able to access at least some of the items in his reference lists. 

Thanks to all for your help--anything further will be much appreciated! I hope the novel will end up with enough ups and downs and episodes that are both serious and comical at the same time in order for it to be interesting enough to stand as a novel readers will be willing to pick up in spite of the difficult theme. I agree that finding the theme in a novel (fiction) rather than in academic research or pamphlets, etc. makes it more approachable, so I hope someone will want to publish it and that it sells. This is new territory for a rather oldish woman, so I am taking each step as it comes and hoping for the best. Writing is hard work as many of you probably know. I love it and am enjoying every minute of my work on this novel which helps when it's hard to find the right words. I'm too picky to just write mindlessly when I am stumped. I generate too much that's unusable anyway. But I can see that sometimes it may the only way to get unstuck and up and writing again. So far, I've always been able to get started with a scene or chapter that I am reasonably confident about. But I'm at the middle or close to it and I can see the hazard of getting bogged down in the middle. I'm grinding away at plotting and organizing scenes written or imagined into what will make an effective plot. I can now tell my students that, yes, authors do plan all those meanings we take apart with literature classes.
    If you would be interested in reading a first draft and giving me feedback, please let me know as well. I know that is often done at that stage but I'm still learning how that is all organized. I really don't want to self-publish as I fear it will be very expensive and don't think it is the best way to market a book. I'd like a legit publisher to choose it as worthy of publication, not just me promoting my own book. 
    Blessings to all during this holiday season!
    Peggy  

Peggy Oliver
    Ankeny IA

• 14.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-19-2022 12:45 AM
    Thanks for this information. I will most certainly locate this book. I appreciate your time to get the information for me. I wish you a lovely holiday and all of the best in the new year!
    Peggy O

Peggy Oliver
    Ankeny IA

• 15.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-10-2022 04:10 PM
    Ellen, you are so right that people stay stupid and hurtful things, because they don't know what to say, when responding to a death. My parents were told that they were fortunate to have a replacement son (see my comments about the death of my brother in response to Peggy's original post). All that needs to be said is "I'm sorry this happened" and "I care". 
    Dottie

Dottie Bauer
    Professor emerita
    Antrim NH

• 16.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-10-2022 04:07 PM

Hello all,
    As part of my Master's program in EC-SPED years ago, I did research on children's grief reactions for a course on social-emotional development (Diane Levin was the instructor :<) ) That was in the electric typewriter days and I don't have the paper any more. My topic choice was in part because I experienced the death of a sibling when I was 4 years 10 months old. He died 2 weeks before another sibling (also a brother) was born. I can share personal stories about nightmares about drowning or falling, certain locations that threw me into almost rabid fear reactions, and my anger at my new brother for displacing the old one - irrational for sure, but I was almost 5! It took until I was in my 20s to understand my fears and overcome them, but I would say that this experience shaped my life.

I will also say that one doesn't get back to what was before with a significant death, because life is changed and it can't go back. My brother who died never came back. The parents in your novel won't come back either. It does however move forward with the understanding of the loss, as best as the child can understand it. When the child is old enough to remember (so your 7 week old character isn't likely to remember, but they need to receive responsive, consistent caregiving), the knowledge of the tragedy won't disappear, but it will fade and become accepted if the child is well cared for. Preschoolers need reassurance that they didn't cause the death because of a behavior or misbehavior. Primary grades children may not show grief the way one thinks they 'should' because they may be tamping it down in order to cope, be with friends, forget for the moment, be strong for the younger siblings. Children may never introduce the topic, but that doesn't mean they aren't feeling the loss or feeling emotions they can't understand.

There is no 'normal' way that grief happens for every child. Every person experiencing grief looks and acts uniquely, despite the various stage theories that are out there. But I appreciate that you want to get the themes to be in line with what's known. A couple of good books that incorporate the child's perspective - Jill Krementz, How it Feels When a Parent Dies (interviews with actual children age 7 and up). J. William Wordon's Children and Grief: When a Parent Dies, report of a longitudinal study interviewing children about the death of their parents. Wordon reminds us that the grief reaction changes as the child matures through different developmental stages, something I know about myself as I look back. There is something called the Good Grief Program at the Boston Medical Center (an internet search will bring you to their website) has good tips for helping children deal with grief.

I applaud you for taking up this theme/topic. It's something that needs to be talked about, and is a lot easier to discuss through fiction and BEFORE you are in crisis!  
    Best wishes,
    Dottie Bauer

Dottie Bauer
    Professor emerita
    Antrim NH

• 17.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-11-2022 04:15 PM
    Hello!

Thank you Peggy for starting this conversation and thank you to the others who have contributed along the way.

I am a Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS) (for more info About Child Life) providing support to children and families during stressful and traumatic life situations. CCLSs have experience in working with children experiencing grief and loss. Many CCLS have certifications in bereavement work. I would definitely recommend reaching out to a CCLS in your area to find out more about how they can support your research efforts (Self Serve Portal (childlife.org)).

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions.

Denise Matsuyama Lai, MA, CCLS, CIMI

Denise Matsuyama
    Alhambra CA

• 18.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-12-2022 08:37 AM
    Dear Peggy Oliver,
    There is a moving French film about a girl, around 5 years old, whose mother has died in an auto accident, "Ponette."  It follows the child over a year as she confronts the reality of her mother's death. it is not a documentary, but the child actress is extraordinary. I recommend it.
    Julie Diamond

Julie Diamond
    Adjunct professor, field supervisor
    CCNY
    New York NY

• 19.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-12-2022 09:46 AM
    Hi Julie, Is Ponette the name of the French film?

Heather Natonabah
    Preschool teacher
    Farmington NM

• 20.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-12-2022 10:28 AM
    Yes - and it is available on a disk from Netflix.

Julie Diamond
    CCNY
    New York NY

• 21.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-13-2022 09:19 AM
    the movie is available on Apple TV not Netflix

ESTHER WOLF
    Dallas TX

• 22.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-13-2022 09:53 AM
    Hi - 
    Thanks, good to know it's on AppleTV - I just checked, it's also on Netflix. Julie

Julie Diamond
    CCNY
    New York NY

• 23.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-14-2022 02:36 AM
    Esther--Thanks for letting me know it is on Apple rather than Netflix. How do I get to Apple TV--do I have that name correctly? I have not used that resource at all. My phones are all androids, and I haven't used Apple products since my first computer back in 1988! That was a Macintosh that I loved. I never knew how to use IBM because of that, but then everything at the college began coming in through Dell or other PCs that used floppy disks and Microsoft programs that I'd played with a bit on the Macintosh. Most of the department faculty were not at all interested in using computers, but I could see that it was coming whether we liked it or not, so I wanted to start learning how to use the computers and their programs that could help me deliver instruction more efficiently some of the time. Anyway, if you could explain how to access Apple TV, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you and have a good week!
    Peggy O.

Peggy Oliver
    Ankeny IA

• 24.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-14-2022 09:20 AM
    Peggy
    Although others mentioned Netflix I could not pull it up on Netflix
    Apple TV is an app you can load on your TV or Computer
    It is normally 4.99 a month but they usually have a free trial period.
    I hope this helps

ESTHER WOLF
    Dallas TX

• 25.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-14-2022 03:33 PM
    I meant that Ponette is available on a DVD from Netflix - not a CD. (It's not on their streaming service.)

Julie Diamond
    CCNY
    New York NY

• 26.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-14-2022 10:41 AM
    The film is available on CD from Netflix, it won't show up on the Netflix streaming service. Don't know if that helps. 
    Julie

Julie Diamond
    CCNY
    New York NY

• 27.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-12-2022 08:39 AM
    PS I just wrote to recommend the movie, "Ponette." It is available on a disk from Netflix.

Julie Diamond
    CCNY
    New York NY

• 28.  RE: Grief Resources for Children Under Three

Posted 12-12-2022 12:21 PM
    Hello Everyone,
    My husband passed away last year June and at that time we were living with our niece who was 3yrs. I then moved to South Dakota; I always wonder what goes on in her mind about her seeing the body of my husband being removed from the bedroom. 

I will go ahead and get some time and watch the movie "Ponette."  and purchase books on children's grief. Please let me know when the books are published Peggy and Ellen. If anyone out there is interested in carrying out a study on children's grief, let me know am interested.
    Happy Holidays

Rudia W. Kihura, Ph.D.

College of Education & Behavioral Sciences

1200 University Street, Spearfish, SD, 57799

605-642-6235 |  rudia.kihura@bhsu.edu

Rudia Kihura
    Spearfish SD