Open Discussion Forum

• 1.  Circle Time/Story Time Seating Ideas

Posted 02-11-2023 11:57 AM

Hello community,

I am looking for seating ideas for whole group activities. The standard ABC colorful rug and carpet squares are not working with my group of 3/4 students. 

Does anyone use flexible seating in their preschool class? If so, what does that look like. We have 19 students. What do you think the ideal size rug would be if we choose to go with a standard rug in one color? Do you think oval /circular is better than rectangular? I've also thought of using foam exercise mat such as this: https://www.target.com/p/best-choice-products-24-piece-puzzle-exercise-mat-multipurpose-floor-tiles-gym-mat-38-thick-96-sq-ft-gray/-/A-82323663

Thanks in advance for any insight/ideas.

------------------------------
    Leslie T.
    Preschool Teacher
    Illinois

• 2.  RE: Circle Time/Story Time Seating Ideas

Posted 02-12-2023 03:03 AM

Good morning. My name is Sharlene and I am new to this forum. I wanted to share this idea if your classroom space allows. Try using coloring seating pillows. Have a different color or shade assigned to each child. In the morning as you prepare for circle time, have each child pick their color pillow and be seated on the carpet. It may also be helpful to label it with their name. After circle time, have each child put back their pillow in the proper place/storage area that you have created. This can be fun for them and teaches them responsibility. 

Sharlene Ferrell
    Toddler Teacher
    Elizabeth NJ

• 3.  RE: Circle Time/Story Time Seating Ideas

Posted 02-12-2023 08:05 AM

Children learn best through play, so most of the day should be spent playing, not in group settings. What are your goals for group time? Are the children actively involved, or are they being asked to sit, look, and listen? 

A good morning gathering that lasts about 10 minutes is appropriate, but it should be a choice. Anything else is most likely developmentally inappropriate. 

Here is a short article about how circle time is used inappropriately and why.

https://wehavekids.com/education/-Help-Mommy-Im-Being-Held-Hostage-by-My-Preschool-Teacher-Why-Circle-Time-Is-Detrimental-to-Your-Child

Cathy McAuliffe, PhD
    *Children's Coalition of Aransas County Executive Board Vice-President
    *NorthWest Arkansas Community College Adjunct Professor

• 4.  RE: Circle Time/Story Time Seating Ideas

Posted 02-13-2023 01:57 PM

Greetings all. This subject is close and dear to my heart. I will second Cathlene F. McAuliffe's sentiments, 100%.

We, as caregivers, have a duty to disregard our idea that we need to organize and lead activities for children to engage. And, sitting and listening to a story is something most children love to do, when they choose to. I discovered early on in my career that removing myself from the equation afforded children the freedom to discover their passions, explore their surroundings, interact with others, move their bodies naturally, listen to their intuition, and express themselves with honesty. 

I go as far as creating a space for children to eat when they're hungry, drink when they're thirsty, nap when they're tired, etc. In order to do this, I needed to separate from mainstream, licensed childcare programs and start my own. 

Mary Russell
    Owner
    Journeys Out Yonder
    Boulder CO

• 5.  RE: Circle Time/Story Time Seating Ideas

Posted 02-13-2023 05:11 PM

Mary Russell, you must connect with Denita Dinger! 

http://playcountsdenitadinger.blogspot.com/
    And Teacher Tom!
    http://teachertomsblog.blogspot.com/
    I think we do a real disserve to children when we think it's a good idea to read to a large group at this age. Children learn to love reading by being very close (even snuggling) with the adult. And the adult is happy to stop and let the child lead the discussion instead of shushing the child so that they can finish reading the book!
    Several years ago, I observed this in a  Head Start class: The lead teacher had all 18 children sitting in a circle listening to her read a book. The assistant teacher called the children two by two to go wash their hands for lunch. So reading to the children was clearly a place-holder, not a literacy activity. The children were learning nothing about a book's plot or beginning, middle, and end. And so forth. 

Cathy McAuliffe, PhD
    *Children's Coalition of Aransas County Executive Board Vice-President
    *Coast Bend Chapter of TXAEYC Member
    *NorthWest Arkansas Community College Adjunct Professor

• 6.  RE: Circle Time/Story Time Seating Ideas

Posted 02-14-2023 12:33 PM
      |   view attached

Thank you for the links. I'm grateful to be in good company. 

Mary Russell
    Owner
    Journeys Out Yonder
    Boulder CO